As the crisis continues to worsen in strife-torn Yemen, a crew comprising 20 Indians was attacked during the air strikes launched by the Saudi-led forces on the Iranian backed Houthi rebels. Initial media reports claimed that 20 Indians had been killed. However, in an official statement, India’s Ministry of external Affairs spokesperson Vikas Swarup clarified that most of the crew members were alive and only some of them were missing. “Out of 20 crew members, 13 are alive and 7 are reported to be missing,” he said.
“We’ve seen media reports about the death of Indian nationals in Yemen. The Indian embassy in Djibouti is in touch with local contacts. We have ascertained that two boats came under aerial attack, boats were carrying a total of 20 Indian crew members,” Mr Swarup added. The incident had taken place on September 8 at al-Khokha near Hodeidah Port.
Against the backdrop of the worsening security situation in the West Asian state, the Indian embassy in Yemen’s capital Sana’a has been functioning from Djibouti from April 14. In a multi-pronged operation, Indian agencies managed to rescue 4741 Indians from the violence-beset Yemen in April.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2020.11.26India-Italy Connect: The Road Ahead (WEBINAR VIDEO)
- India and the World2020.11.25Italian envoy calls for rebalancing Europe-China ties, pitches for enhanced defence ties with India
- Diplomacy2020.11.24India eyes closer ties with Bahrain, UAE, and Seychelles
- China Connect2020.11.23China-India G20 connect: Xi, Modi bat for multilateralism