After nearly two years of long waiting, a US woman has pleaded guilty for pushing an Indian-American man to death in front of a subway train in New York and can face up to 25 years in prison.
Erika Menendez, a resident of Queens, pleaded guilty before Queen’s Supreme Court Justin Gregory Lasak for pushing the 46-year-old Sunando Sen to death when the subway train entered the station in New York on December 27, 2012.
She was arrested after three days of attack and was charged for committing the hate crime.
Menendez told the authorities that she pushed a Muslim off the track” as she hated Muslims and Hindus after the 9/11 attack, according to Queens district attorney Richard Brown.
Menendez had admitted committing what is every commuter’s worst nightmare — being suddenly and senselessly pushed into the path of an oncoming train,” he said.
She was arrested after three days of committing the attack and was charged for committing the hate crime.
The judgment offers a glimpse of justice amid a spurt in hate crimes against Indians in the US. In most recent hate crimes against Indians, Randhir Kaur, a dentistry student from India was shot in her head on March 9, 2015, and the reason is still unknown.
The US is home to a 3-million strong Indian diaspora, one of the most successful and well-regarded communities in what immigrants continue to see as the land of opportunity.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- What they Say2021.06.21Yoga a source of inner strength: PM Modi
- Culture2021.06.21Yoga a ray of hope & confidence in time of pandemic: PM Modi
- Africa Insights2021.06.17India-Eswatini Ties on Higher Trajectory
- India and the World2021.06.16US, Russia will launch strategic stability dialogue, talks positive: Biden