According to the award citation, Bhargava “is awarded a Fields Medal for developing powerful new methods in the geometry of numbers, which he applied to count rings of small rank and to bound the average rank of elliptic curves.”
Bhargava, a professor of mathematics at Princeton University, was among four winners of the celebrated award. Iranian-born Maryam Mirzakhani, Martin Hairer and Artur Avila, were the other winners.
Mirzakhani, who works in the US, became the first ever female winner of the Fields Medal.
Bhargava has previously been awarded the SASTRA Ramanujan prize in 2005, and the Infosys Prize in 2012.
The Fields Medal, officially known as International Medal for Outstanding Discoveries in Mathematics, is a prize awarded to mathematicians under the age of 40 years at each International Congress of the International Mathematical Union (IMU). The medals will be presented to the winners in Seoul at the meeting of the International Congress of Mathematicians, held every four years.
The IMU website praised Bhargava as “a mathematician of extraordinary creativity, he has a taste for simple problems of timeless beauty, which he has solved by developing elegant and powerful new methods that offer deep insights.”
Born in 1974 in Canada to Indian immigrants, he grew up primarily in the US but spent some time in India as well. He has been teaching at Princeton since 2003.
“I am of course very honoured to be receiving the Fields Medal, said Bhargava, adding: “it is a great source of encouragement and inspiration.”
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is a pioneering e-magazine and portal focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have been interviewed by and have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. To subscribe to India and World, write to email@example.com
- Africa Insights2020.06.01India, Africa should accelerate UNSC reforms: South Africa’s BRICS Sherpa
- News2020.05.30The present and future of 130 crore will never be dictated by an adversity : Modi
- China Connect2020.05.28India-China border stand-off: Chinese envoy calls for settling amicably, invokes close ties
- Diplomacy2020.05.27Trump offers to mediate in India-China border standoff