The investigation is going on for the last one week, but so far no arrests have been made and no suspects have been interrogated.
This homicide is the latest in the increasing number of attacks on Indians in the US. On February 6, an old Indian man was assaulted by two police officers. There was also an attack on a Hindu temple in Washington on February 15. A shop keeper’s son in New Jersey was also shot dead.
Randhir Kaur was an international student at the University of California San Francisco, pursuing Dentist Programme. She was found dead in her apartment about 4 pm on March 8 after University officials became concerned about her well-being.
“Ms Kaur was shot sometime after she attended afternoon prayers at a Sikh temple,” a police official said. Albany police department requested forensic experts from the Alameda County sheriff’s crime laboratory to provide additional help.
On March 16, the police recovered personal items belonging to Kaur inside a trash receptacle in the 5200 block of Panama Avenue in Richmond, located around 3.2 kilometers away from Kaur’s apartment.
Experts from the Alameda County sheriff’s crime laboratory will be assisting the investigation. Around 6 full-time investigators are working on the case.
The killing of the student has triggered anxiety among the Indian-American community. The US is home to around 3 million-strong Indian diaspora, and is a preferred destination for Indians going overseas for studies.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2021.09.17AUKUS triggers diplomatic churn, India adopts strategic silence
- India and the World2021.09.17With Taliban on mind, Modi asks SCO to forge template against extremism
- Business with India2021.09.16India, UK eye interim trade deal, aim for $30 billion target
- India and the World2021.09.09BRICS@15 summit: Modi calls for making BRICS more result-oriented