SAN BERNARDINO, CALIFORNIA: In a major shooting attack in San Bernardino on December 2, America once again faced the horror of increasing gun violence. While the exact motive of the shooting isn’t known, the shootout resulted in 14 people being killed along with the two suspects.
The two suspects identified as Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 27 came heavily armed which culminated in a shootout. Panic, chaos and rumor struck this largely working-class community about 60 miles east of Los Angeles as the attackers carried out the nation’s worst mass shooting since the assault on an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., three years ago.
The couple were armed with .223-caliber assault rifles and semiautomatic handguns. As shots were fired, others in the building hid, sending out texts, according to reports. Chief Burguan said that most of the victims were found in one part of that building but it took hours to render the scene safe.
“There had to be some degree of planning that went into this,” Chief Burguan said. “I don’t think they just ran home and put on t hese tactical clothes.” He said the motive had not been determined. “We have not ruled out terrorism,’’ he said.
The three explosive devices were left behind, and the authorities were only starting to process the scene and could not identify any of the victims. The police said the suspects fled in a black sport utility vehicle, large parts of the city were paralyzed throughout the day. Chief Burguan said there were at least 20 officers involved in the gun battle.
A third person fled the scene and was taken into custody, but the police did not know his role, if any, Chief Burguan said. A police officer was injured during the shootout.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2022.05.17India-Nepal ties strong & stables as Himalayas: Modi
- Quote-Unquote2022.05.04India believes there will be no winner in Russia-Ukraine conflict : Modi
- India and the World2022.05.02Modi, German Chancellor discuss Ukraine, Indo-Pacific
- India and the World2022.04.21UK PM unveils £1 billion investment in India