It highlighted key sectors like pharmaceuticals, transport equipment and textiles as the propeller of India’s growth story.
The report was especially optimistic about India’s textile industry which is poised to regain its place as the global garment hub. “Despite struggling with a number of structural impediments to growth, prospects for medium-term growth in trade remain strong,” the HSBC report said.
The report comes at a time when India’s near-term growth prospects remain uninspiring. The economy is expected to grow by 5.3 percent in 2014 and pick up speed to 6.3 percent in 2015.
“The economic potential for India remains strong, with the growing population and rapidly expanding middle class — it presents opportunities for business. India is forecast to emerge as the world’s largest middle-class market, surpassingboth China and US,” said Sandeep Uppal, MD and head, commercial banking, HSBC India.
India’s pharmaceuticals exports are likely to emerge as one of the top ten contributors to total export growth. It added that India’s domestic pharmaceuticals sector is relatively advanced and in a position to compete globally.
The government is expected to announce its new five-year Foreign Trade Policy within the next fortnight. The announcement is expected to offer initiatives to enhance export.
The report also added that the UAE is likely to remain India’s top export destination by 2030, while China is forecast to emerge as the second largest export market, displacing the US.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2021.09.17AUKUS triggers diplomatic churn, India adopts strategic silence
- India and the World2021.09.17With Taliban on mind, Modi asks SCO to forge template against extremism
- Business with India2021.09.16India, UK eye interim trade deal, aim for $30 billion target
- India and the World2021.09.09BRICS@15 summit: Modi calls for making BRICS more result-oriented