The Indian government has revoked the passport of liquor baron Vijay Mallya and is considering steps for his deportation from the UK.
“After having considered replies by Vijay Mallya, MEA (Ministry of External Affairs) revokes his passport under S.10(3)(c) & (h) of Passports Act,” External Affairs Ministry spokesman Vikas Swarup said on April 24.
Mallya, known for his flamboyant lifestyle, has been in Britain for over a month. He is facing legal proceedings for the alleged default of loans worth over Rs 9,000 crores ( around $1.3 billion) from various banks. On April 22, the MEA had said that the central government was committed to bringing Mallya back in India to face justice.
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) had asked that Mr Mallya’s passport be revoked for non-cooperation with investigators. He had failed to present himself before the agency that had summoned him three times. “Mallya has been asked to respond within one week as to why his passport should not be impounded or revoked under section 10(3)(c) of the Passports Act, 1967. If he fails to respond within the stipulated time, it will be assumed that he has no response to offer and the MEA will go ahead with the revocation,” Mr Swarup said.
The banks have been demanding that Mr Mallya repay the entire debt that he owes them. However, with him having fled the country, there has been plenty of pressure to bring him back to India.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2020.07.11Webinar Video: Mapping Next Steps in India-Africa Partnership
- China Connect2020.07.10It’s time to put India-China relations back on track, think ahead: Chinese envoy
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace