India-born brothers, Reuben and the Hinduja, grabbed the top two slots in Britain’s annual rich list released by a UK newspaper. The famous business conglomerate Hinduja Group continue to dominate the list of richest businessmen in the UK by holding on to their spot as the second richest people in UK in 2016, according to the rankings by ‘The Sunday Times’.
The London-based Srichand and Gopichand Hinduja are estimated to have a networth of 13 billion pounds ($19 billion), according to the ranking. They were ranked behind the Mumbai-born Reuben brothers, who have an estimated wealth of 13.1 billion pounds. The Hinduja group is a conglomerate, which has businesses in India, Europe and Africa. The group owns a truck-maker and a bank in India.
The Hinduja brothers as they are popularly referred to, were ranked the richest people in Britain in 2014, but slipped to second position in 2015. The group expressed their interest in stepping up their investments in India, following assurances from Prime Minister Narendra Modi after their meeting during his UK visit. Mr Modi had assured that it will now become easier to do business in India. However, these promises have not yet been fulfilled, they said.
Some of the other prominent Indians in the list include steel baron Lakshmi Mittal and his family, who were ranked 11 with a net worth of 7.1 billion pounds. Another prominent Indian origin businessman Sri Prakash Lohia, who runs his family textile business, was ranked 37, with net worth of 2.94 billion pounds.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- China Connect2020.11.28A New Start, A New Journey
- Diplomacy2020.11.26India-Italy Connect: The Road Ahead (WEBINAR VIDEO)
- India and the World2020.11.25Italian envoy calls for rebalancing Europe-China ties, pitches for enhanced defence ties with India
- Diplomacy2020.11.24India eyes closer ties with Bahrain, UAE, and Seychelles