Celebrating the emergence of women in the business world in India, the fifth annual Forbes 50 Power Businesswomen List has featured eight Indians, with Nita Ambani, wife of billionaire industrialist Mukesh Ambani, getting the coveted top slot.
The spotlight is clearly on Nita Ambani, Director of Reliance Industries (RIL), a surprise debut appearance in this power list, with Forbes showering praise on her for her formidable business skills. “In a country where billionaire wives tend to remain in the shadow of their husbands, Nita’s rising profile in the Reliance empire is unusual and earns her a debut spot on our Power Businesswomen ranking this year,” said Forbes.
“As Reliance’s non-executive director, Nita has no formal operational role in the conglomerate that her husband runs as chairman and managing director. But it’s no secret that ‘Bhabhi’ — Hindi for brother’s wife — as she is called by insiders, is a power near the throne.”
Other Indian women who have been featured in the list are: Arundhati Bhattacharya, Chairman & Managing Director – State Bank of India (2); Ambiga Dhiraj, CEO – Mu Sigma (14); Dipali Goenka, CEO – Welspun India Ltd. (16); Vinita Gupta, CEO – Lupin Limited (18); Chanda Kocchar, CEO – ICICI Bank (22); Vandana Luthra, Founder – VLCC (26); and Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Chairman & Managing Direciroe- Biocon Limited (28).
Chanda, who has been featured in the list for the fifth time, has been recently in the news for launching iWork@Home scheme, which allows the women employees of the company to work from home for a period of 1 year and executives to their kids under the age of 3 on business trips at the expense of bank.
These women represent diverse business fields ranging from banking, bio-tech, beauty & wellness to data analytics, textiles and pharma.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2021.03.05Connectivity with Bangladesh is of prime importance, says Jaishankar in Dhaka
- India and the World2021.03.01Environment in the Media webinar: It’s time for world to unite against global warming
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region