India’s President Pranab Mukherjee kicked off the Budget session with his speech to a joint session of both houses of the parliament, in which he underscored the BJP-led NDA government’s vision of inclusive economy and governance by highlighting a slew of schemes directed at empowering the poor, the underprivileged and women. Mr Mukherjee described the move to merge the Railway and Union Budgets this year as “historic.”
Key highlights of President’s speech
- Resilience demonstrated by our countrymen particularly the poor, in the fight against black money and corruption, is remarkable
- We gather once again to celebrate democracy to celebrate the culture which says sabkasaathsabkavikas
- At the core of all my government’s policies is the welfare of the poor, dalit, downtrodden, deprived, farmers, labourers and the young people
- My government is guided by the Antyodaya philosophy of PanditDeendayalUpadhyaya
Financial inclusion is key to poverty alleviation
- My Government has taken various steps to transform the lives of our farmers. An unprecedented 26 crore plus Jan Dhan accounts have been opened for the unbanked
- Under DeenDayalAntyodayaYojana, over Rs 16000 crore have been made available to SHGs in the current Financial Year.
- To take the banking system to the doorstep of the poor and the unbanked, the Indian Postal Payment Bank has been started.
- My Government is committed to provide shelter to every houseless poor household through the Pradhan MantriAawasYojana.
- Over Rs 2 Lakh Crore has been provided through 5.6 crore loans sanctioned under Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana.
- My Govt is making ‘naarishakti’ an integral part of our development journey, they deserve equal opportunities. PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Deepa illustrate strength of our women.
- Mission Indradhanush commits to vaccinate “every child everywhere” against preventable diseases.
- 3 crore Kisan or farmer cards will be converted to rupee debit cards.
- Women must be are fully empowered and their skills and talents are fully utilized
- Over 1 crore accounts have been opened for the safety of girl child
- The PM SurakshitMatritiAbhiyaan will provide important healthcare and ensure maternity leaves at workplaces
- 65 per cent population is below the age of 35. Young people are our greatest strength. Their energies must be channelized.
- My government has taken steps for their skill development and improve their employability
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal VikasYojanahas been launched with a budget of 12,000 crores to train 1 crore youth over the next 10 years
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2022.09.28War of narratives: Jaishankar takes on the US media for its “biased” coverages
- Diplomacy2022.09.28Days after Modi-Putin meeting, Lavrov backs India for UNSC seat
- India and the World2022.09.27India protests US’s F-16 funds for Pakistan: You are not fooling anybody
- Diplomacy2022.09.25Taliban demands apology from Pakistan for calling Afghanistan a hub of terrorism