Mahatma and Madiba. Interlinked dreams of India and Africa. Rise of India. Resilience and Resurgence. These were key theme of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s stirring address to ain South Africa on July 1. Sporting a Madiba shirt, Mr Modi enthralled nearly 11,000 PIOs with his resonant vision of a new India and cited myriad cultural and historical links that bind India and South Africa.
Here are some quotable quotes from PM Modi’s speech that encapsulate his views on the transformation of India, the bright future of India-Africa relations and the pivotal place of the Indian diaspora in India’s resurgence.
- With rare resilience, renewed resurgence, superb speed & spectacular scale, India’s rise can be defined as H.O.P.E: Harmony, Optimism, Potential and Energy.
- “This is the birthplace of Satyagraha. For Gandhiji, South Africa’s welfare was a matter of great concern.”
- “With rare resilience, renewed resurgence, superb speed and spectacular scale, India’s rise can be defined as ‘H.O.P.E’ – Harmony, Optimism, Potential, Energy.”
- “We may be on different time zones. Our ancestors may have been separated in history. Our nationalities may be different and our support may be for different cricket teams. But our common heritage makes sure we remain connected in hearts and minds.”
- “As South Africa works for economic prosperity, safety and security, it will find in India a trusted and reliable partner. India is ready to join you in the journey.”
- “India and South Africa are strategic partners. We should build a partnership that spans entirety of human endeavour.”
- “You are a window to India’s heritage. Your achievements, contribution and success make us proud.”
- “When I see all of you, I am reminded of your ancestors and their struggles. I remember their bravery. Under decades of apartheid isolation, they not only preserved culture, tradition and language. They also gave them new wings to flourish.”
- “India like South Africa is a young nation. We want our youth to be the engine that pulls our society. We are working to skill the youth.”
- While the world is marked by slowdown, India has registered a growth of 7.6 per cent this year and we are working to grow even at 8 per cent in the years ahead.”
- “We have similar aspirations and challenges. We led from the front against apartheid, but we were also the first ones to extend warm embrace of friendship.”
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2021.03.05Connectivity with Bangladesh is of prime importance, says Jaishankar in Dhaka
- India and the World2021.03.01Environment in the Media webinar: It’s time for world to unite against global warming
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region